Bids for professional service contract awards were discussed at Monday night’s township council meeting, with two councilors repeatedly objecting to the vetting process. Despite this, the council majority passed most of the nominations.
Council member Nicholas Joanow protested when single names of vendors were presented to the council for a vote. He said it was difficult to determine the applicants' qualifications without the benefit of comparison to other vendors.
“I think we should have other bidders,” he said. Throughout the course of the discussion, Joanow abstained or voted "no" when single names came up for consideration.
Council member Elias Chalet objected to some of the nominations as well, for a different reason.
“As a new councilman, we’re dealing with hiring people I don’t know,” he said. “As a businessman, if I hire someone I’ve got to meet them. I don’t want to hear about people.”
At one point, when two names came up for consideration, Chalet suggested, “Can we table it? I will abstain from voting unless I can meet these guys. I don’t know either one of them.”
Mayor McCarthy countered, “I’m trying to be polite here but that’s not one of the things council people do.”
Despite their reluctance to vote for some candidates, most of the recommendations were passed by majority vote.
As the township administrator Yoshi Manale noted after the meeting, “The positions have yet to be officially appointed until the council votes on them at the regular meeting two weeks from now [on February 6.]”
The bids included the following "awards for a professional service contract pursuant to the fair and open process":
1. Appraisal Consultant – McNerney and Associates
2. Water & Sewer Operator - Marucci Engineering Associates
3. Tax Attorney - O’Donell McCord, P.C.
4. Treasury Services – Russell Jager
5. Risk Management Consultant – Fairview Insurance Agency Associates, Inc.
6. Redevelopment Attorney – McManimon & Scotland; Florio, Perrucci, Steinhardt and Fader; Scarinci Hollenbeck
7. Municipal Auditor – Samuel Klein and Company
8. Bond Counsel – McManimon & Scotland
9. Accounting Services - (failed to move)
10. Part-Time Forestry Consultant - First Mountain Arboriculture
11. Insurance Broker - Fairview Insurance Agency Associates, Inc.
12. Dental Insurance Broker RD Parisi Associates, Inc.
13. General Engineering Consultants (to be awarded on an as-needed basis)
14. Open Space Planning and Land Acquisition Consultant (to be awarded on an as-needed basis)
15. Information Technology Consulting – United Computer
16. Grants Consultant –Millennium Strategies
Mayor McCarthy also made the following appointments, which will become official on February 6: