.

Man Severely Burned after Cigarette Ignites Gas Can

Just-purchased can of gas ignites inside man's Audi after he lights cigarette

A Paterson man was severely burned last Saturday after a cigarette he lit caused a gas can to ignite inside his car, police said.

The man, who was not identified, was found by Bloomfield police officer Jon Singerline screaming near his burning 2002 Audi on Broad Street and Red Maple Avenue, according to Sgt. Anthony Servedio, of the Bloomfield Police Department.

The man, who was on the sidewalk and being helped by passersby, told Singerline that he had bought a can of gas from a local station and was driving home when he lit a cigarette. The cigarette apparently caused the gas fumes to ignite the interior of the Audi.

The Bloomfield Fire Department extinguished the burning car.

The man suffered severe burns to his hands, head, face, neck and body, said Servedio. He was treated at the scene by Nutley EMS and a Medic Unit from HackensackUMC Moutainside Hospital and transported to St. Barnabas Burn Center.

His current condition is not known, said Servedio.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »