Do You Want to Help?
Some information for those in a position to lend assistance to their neighbors
How can I help?
Volunteer: During this emergency-response period, in most places it is simply too early — and too dangerous — to accommodate citizen volunteers offering hands-on help.
In the meantime, you can get start by contacting the state’s emergency response hotline. Volunteers will be asked to provide any special licensing or certification, and how far they are willing to travel. Once local needs are assessed, volunteers will be dispatched. To sign up, call (800) JERSEY-7 (537-7397) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donate: Several major charities have established relief funds, including:
• Feeding American — www.feedingamerica.org
• Red Cross — www.redcross.org
• Volunteers are also encouraged to donate blood because many blood drives were canceled due to the storm. Information on where to donate can also be found at redcross.org.
• Salvation Army — www.salvationarmyusa.org
• United Way — www.unitedwaynyc.org