Ten Green Party members, most from the Essex/Passaic branch, were out on Saturday collecting signatures to put Dr. Jill Stein for President of the U.S. on the November ballot in New Jersey. (Dr. Stein is a physician from Massachusetts.)
Unlike the Democratic and Republican Parties, third parties do not have a permanent line in New Jersey, and each time they run candidates for state office, they have to collect 800 valid signatures from registered voters.
The volunteers were outside the main post office, and in other parts of Bloomfield with their petitions for Dr. Stein. Dr. Beresford Jones, Bloomfield resident and Vice Chair of the New Jersey Green Party, was encouraged by the response. "I made it clear that Jill Stein is running for president because we need a third party to express the needs and concerns of the American people that are not being articulated by the two major party candidates in their campaigns."
A flyer being given to people who signed the petition articulates some of the issues that Dr. Stein in raising in her campaign:
- End unemployment by investing in green jobs.
- End bailouts that gave $12 trillion in cash and free loans to Big Banks that crashed our economy.
- Put a moratorium on home foreclosures.
- Forgive the $1trillion student debt. Create tuition-free higher education.
- Create health care as a human right through a Medicare for all system that provides quality
comprehensive care, preserves patient choice and puts people before profits.
- Stop climate change by creating millions of jobs in non-polluting green energy, manufacturing, agriculture
and public transportation.
- End the oil wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. (Obama is leaving thousands of private military contractors in
Iraq and has twice as many troops in Afghanistan as George W. Bush.) )
Across the country, Dr. Stein is on the ballot in 25 states and expects to be qualified for 20 others. More information on Dr. Jill Stein and her platform can be found at her website: www.JillStein.org. To contact the Essex/Passaic Green Party which has members in Bloomfield, call Ted at 973-338-5398.